Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Site Happenings - December 7, 2005

First and foremost, I wish to thank all of you for the hundreds of emails, blog entries and letters you sent with words of comfort after the death of my only and dearest sister. Her ashes are in the ground now and the "final good-bye" (the Memorial) is this coming Sunday.

It's been a real rough time but we're moving forward now and concentrating on raising the three beautiful children that she left behind. It will be a family effort and they are well worth the time spent doing so. The children will be raised by my Mother and Stepdad, who are in their seventies, and we hope to have a new home soon on the property that will be large enough for everyone.

On to Site Happenings - I could talk forever about my sister and what the words from the people at YT have meant to me - but I want you to know that I'm doing fine so we're going to move on now to a new subject: The Forums again! We've had to make some small changes to the forums, one is the way messages are viewed. They automatically "expand" now if you click on the thread starter, and a few other small changes.

Apparently some people are not able to see links change color (the "visited link" color) after they have clicked on a reply. I've only heard that from a few people though so I'd like some comments on your experience with the most recent change. I'm finding that when I use Firefox as a browser, the links do not change color after I view a forum reply or message. But if I use Safari, the links DO change. I'm on a Macintosh so haven't tried it on my PC. I'm thinking it must be working on Microsoft Explorer, one of the more popular browsers, because out of the thousands of people who read messages each day only 2 or 3 have written about the link color not changing as it should. It is important that the link change color after you've read a message, so that next time you come back to the forum you know you already read that one.

So please leave your comments here, or in the Site Comments Forum.
Our antique tractor forums are a "work in progress" - we must continue with our updates but we'll do them a little at a time - then test the water, adjust or modify - and then move forward again slowly.

The forums are for you - and my most important mission is to keep them as easy to use as possible. The changes we are making are primarily for server and operating system performance, not because we have the "itch" to change things. So feel secure in the fact that I'm always here watching, listening, and caring.

Thanks again to all for your kind words these last two weeks.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Just wanted to let you know the threads do change color for me and I'm using Firefox. John51

Anonymous said...

Kim your doing a great job and I am using microsoft explorer and they change right after I view them but when I come back later there all the same color hope this helps. DJM75

Anonymous said...

P.S. I should let you know this morning I had some expand from the first thread and some didn't. DJM75

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I'm glad you are back. As of 11:30am Central, the ytmag website has been down for about an hour. I'll post about the colored threads once you are back up.

Jay

Anonymous said...

You're back. Excellent. I left my message in regards to the new format on the site comments forum. TY Kim.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Kim,
Usually today (12/8) it's sorta quiet around here cause it's been 36 years today that I lost my brother in a hit & run. Lost my dad 8/01.
With the time good memories have filled most of the void and the tragedy.
Just wanted you to know, you and family have been in our prayers.
Take care, Clay.
ps. Keep up the good (hard) work!!!!

Donna. W said...

I use Firefox and the links change colors. It seems like I read in the past that if you don't get rid of cookies on your computer, the links won't change... I could be wrong about that though.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you posting again Kim.
I've tried firefox and Opera, both
change colors even after a re-boot.

Anonymous said...

Everything is working A++ here and I like the changes. Glad to hear you're doing okay.

Lyndon
Central Alberta, Canada

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
Glad to see you are back. I'm using IE and they change just fine. I have my computer set to dump the cookies after 1 day but on Talers, they sling so much - stuff - that the posts that would have been marked are already on page 2 anyway. Expand is working great, no problems. Just can't seem to get the "user ID" thing to post hear to work for me so I'll just do it this way.

Sammie

Anonymous said...

Kim, I'm sorry for your loss. I usually come to this site for parts and information(the best)for my old Ford, but I am finding the Human content of late to be quite enjoyable. Real people living real lives. Please keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Kim-
I've been off line for awhile and had not heard of the loss of your sister......God Bess all of you and may she rest in peace.

As for the 'visted links color change' thing-
I'm using IE Explorer for Mac w/OS 9.2.2 and IE Explorer or Safari on OS 10.2.8 (2 different computers) and the links ALWAYS change for me.....I'd be revisiting most of them without the color change.....I like it!

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I pray God will comfort you and your family.
Something is very wrong here as I cannot open the H.Ferguson discussion forum. Maybe that particular site is down today because of the memorial?
If so, I completely understand and hope things will return to normal soon. The site is an everyday source of enjoyment and enlightenment for me. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My g-g-grandfather was Samuel Snider, he recieved letters patent in March 16, 1872 for a
"new and useful
improvement in cultivators" or subsoil shovel plows. He was a
blacksmith at Taylorsville, Ky.
His partners were A.P. Harcourt and G.H. Wells. I'm researching
our family geanology and would like to find information about his
invention. Could there be a drawing or picture on record somewhere?? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
Dolly Cahoe
my e-mail address: DACAHOE@ATT.NET