Sunday, October 16, 2005

Welcome to the Antique Tractor Blog

Welcome to the new antique tractor blog. I've resisted this for a long time as I'm very content with the same old software that has served us well for 12 years. But the computer world and technology is advancing around us and if we are to keep interest in the old tractors alive, especially for the younger generation, then I think we need to reach out into the deep dark void of new technology.

So here we are. What is a "blog", many of you are thinking. The way it works is the blogger (me) posts a message about a particular topic and then the bloggees (you) post comments. Very similar to a discussion forum but, well, a different format and it is more topic oriented. This is my first blog so I'm afraid I don't have a lot of valuable insight to pass on regarding what it is and how to use it.

Feel free to post a topic suggestion in your comments. I'll be reviewing them each day. Okay, here is my first topic. Just some conversation and insight into my world.

It's mid-morning but darkened outside by the heavy cloud cover. It's raining, sprinking, raining, sprinkling. My broken down 1959 Allis Chalmers D14 sits alone and waiting in the darkness of the shop. It's been 5 years now since it served any useful purpose. I think it's kind of like that saying, "the housekeepers house is always messy", because they are so busy cleaning everyone elses house that when they get home they are too tired to clean their own. Maybe that is what happpend to Miss Allis D. One day she broke down and all good intentions of getting her going again fell by the wayside as time was spent helping thousands of other people get their tractors running and working on the website.

I always feel guilty when people ask what kind of tractor I drive. In my dreans I drive a perfectly restored Minneapolis Moline 335. She sparkles, she shines, and she's all mine. But in reality I have a broken down tractor that has so much dust on it I can't even sit on her. The D-14 overheated while working at the top of the property. It ended up opening a passage between the water jacket and the oil sump and pumped all the antifreeze into the crankcase. It was very disheartening. At least she's under cover and not degrading further while waiting for someone to come fix her.

I have a pretty good excuse now, one that may allow me to rise above the 24 hour a day maintenance requirements of such a large website and community. I've got 40 acres of raw land with a 5 acre clearing that is trying to become jungle. I'd like to turn it into a farmette with pasture. Quite a tall order, but the Miss Allis D could be readied for the job. I've got all the snap coupler implements, plus a three point and she's got enough power to pull the bush hog.

I love bush hogs. They are so destructive in a useful sort of way. I could spend hours in a 10 x 10 foot area trying to hand pull and chop vines, weeds and small saplings. But it takes the bush hog about 20 seconds!

Anyway, I need to get the '59 Allis D-14 running again. Advice and enouragement (most enouragement!) is most welcome!

6 comments:

Buck Wyndham said...

It's always good to see new "tractor people" blogging!

Work just a little bit, every day, on that Allis and before you know it, you'll be driving it in the local parade next 4th of July (or pulling a bush hog around your property, as the case may be.) Keep a log of your work, with pictures; it'll be nice to look back and see how far you've come.

Thanks for such a great website. I use it a lot!

Anonymous said...

Kim, 46 years has been very kind to you. If you were my neighbor you would not have to worry about all that bushhogging.;)

Blue guy from a red state.

Donna. W said...

Hey Kim, I just discovered this blog. I believe I'll link to it from my journal.

Anonymous said...

good machine, the last tractor on our family farm. The kids kept it going for over ten years after the cows were gone, had a front loader and was darn handy around the house.

Anonymous said...

My-my-my....beautiful and likes tractors too !
Thanks for a wonderful site and sight !

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you need a husband with a tool box.....I have the tools but no wife:). There would have to be room for a new Green tractor and two reds ones as well...hehehe!
Mark